I suggest you…

Change the order of Articles in Knowledge Base

It'd be great if I could re-arrange the order of the articles in the Knowledge Base including by date and alphabetical order

156 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris EldredgeChris Eldredge shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Mark HalleyMark Halley shared a merged idea: add the option to sort KB articles alphabetically, not just by date  ·   · 
    Keith UmstedKeith Umsted shared a merged idea: Top 5 visited articles on the KB Homepage  ·   · 
    brad olcottbrad olcott shared a merged idea: Allow admins to reorder forums in the right column  ·   · 
    Completed  ·  Evan HamiltonEvan Hamilton responded  · 

Hey folks! We’ve built the ability for you to manually order Knowledge Base articles and rolled it out to you last week. You can find more info at: http://ar.gy/2HSi

This gives you all a lot of power to control your Knowledge Base articles, but I know there are a lot of specific requests in the comments of this idea that are /not/ implemented. If your idea hasn’t been implemented yet, please add (or vote for) that specific idea to our forum: http://feedback.uservoice.com

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nikki StokesNikki Stokes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to be able to rate the importance/usefulness of all articles, so that the ones that I think should show up first, are at the top. At the moment it seems to be alphabetical, which is pretty meaningless in terms of helpfulness.

That way I don't have to limit myself to just "sticky" topics, but I also don't have to try and decide an absolute order for every single article in my knowledge base.

And having the ability to order them by more than one criteria might also be useful e.g. order by "importance", then by "number of views" and then by "creation date" would quite likely create a very useful list for my users, no matter what terms they used.

• Maria CMaria C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really is very important to let us arrange the order as we see fit for the articles.

What is the point of displaying articles that may not be the most relevant?

• MemMem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Dejana,

What's the status of this feature? I'd be really surprised if this still hasn't been implemented. We have a 'Still have questions?' entry, for example, that is now at the top, when it should be at the bottom, and we have no way to move it down. At least as far as I can see.

Thanks.

• marymmarym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the sticky option. I was thinking that I'd like to be able to reorder the whole list (I don't think there's anything arbitrary like alpha order or date that would be helpful to sort by), but the most important part is the stickiness -- which are shown at the top.

Sounds like this idea has been around for a while and is quite popular -- might we hope to see this soon?

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This might be a deal breaker for us. We really need to be able to control the top 5 for our users.

• Tarah TheoretTarah Theoret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of Sticky articles as well, but it would be most useful to be able to order all of the articles. We use KB as a support site with Q&As under certain topics and would like to be able to manage the order of them.

• Lori ReedLori Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stickies sounds good but like others, we use our KB as training and would like articles to appear in order for training. Our way around this is to create a training KB with links to articles.

• Andrey TarantsovAndrey Tarantsov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Btw just found that prefixing an article name with a space is very similar to how “sticky” is supposed to behave. (Best part: no ugliness ensues, the space isn't visible anywhere, not even in URLs. Only seems to affect the sort order.)

• Andrey TarantsovAndrey Tarantsov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sticky + ability to order sticky articles with drag'n'drop (and keep alphabetical ordering of the remaining ones) would help.

• Nick FooteNick Foote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yup I'd like sticky at the moment at least. Be great if those sticky articles were the ones to appear in the widget too

• Julie EdwardsJulie Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of Sticky articles in the short term, but I'd really love to be able to order all of the articles. Some of our Knowledge Base Forums are training based and it would be nice to be able to order the articles without having to use lettering to do so when there are more than 9 articles in a Forum.

• Catherine OrfaldCatherine Orfald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of stickiness (preferably with weighting) for the top five but also prefer the ability to simply drag and drop articles into different positions in the list. This means I can structure them in order exactly how I'd like instead of worrying about re-weighting for order in the case I add new articles in a topic. Thanks for working on this now... looking forward to seeing it soon!

• AlexandreAlexandre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, thx for taking into account the feedback.

Having sticky notes enables putting the "most important" article or the "starter" article of the topic.

Unfortunately this solution doesn't provide us with the possibility to create a more structured KB. For example I would like to build a tutorial made of several articles and I would like the user to be able to see the articles in the right order. A bit like a book with chapters. This, I would not be able to do that with the "sticky" feature.

Therefore I would prefer a "weight" field in the article form, then each article would be sorted by weight in its own topic. If no weight, then sort as usual. Not so different than the "sticky" solution but more powerful. Then in a further iteration, you would add the possibility to change the order (and weight) of article in a topic by drag and drop.

Good luck!

• Jason HodgesJason Hodges commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh yeah, I like the sticky article idea. Thumbs up! I would recommend allowing us to have more than 5 "sticky" articles as well.

• Alberto Padilla LuengasAlberto Padilla Luengas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stickies sounds good, but I imagine it's easier if in your backend, once you filter your articles by topic (you have your list of articles in a topic) you can drag and drop each article and the order you see in your back end is the order your users will see in your KB, first five are the featured. Just the way you do with topics where we can arrange them by drag and drop.

• Evan HamiltonAdminEvan Hamilton (Head of Community, UserVoice) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Abbas It's on our 90-day roadmap right now, which doesn't necessarily mean it'll be done in 90 days (could be sooner or later) but that it's high but not highest priority. We did, however, just have several front-end folks join our team so we have a lot more capacity to build such things now. Punchline: don't plan around having it before 90 days. I totally understand if that's a dealbreaker for you.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base