I suggest you…

Ignore short/common words when searching for similar ideas

When I type a new idea in the search field, you look for ideas containing what I have typed.... great... however if a user types common words such as "a" or "the" then ideas containing them are also shown to the user even if they are not relevant.

Perhaps consider ignoring words of less than 3 characters?

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris KorhonenChris Korhonen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MathewMathew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think having an inclusive match is a good thing. So what if a search for "a" returns lots of results? Your users are then forced to search using a more meaningful search term, which is a good thing as it makes people switch their brains on and engage with the process. However, what would be great is a search that builds relationships between words based on known variations, so a search for "search" would return ideas with "look" or "find".

• Gert HansenGert Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ignoring all words with less than three characters is only a short solution as many abbreviations only use three letters and are important to search for. I'd rather have the possibility to have an 'ignore list' in the admin section which is prefilled with the common short binding words like "I, and, the a, we, as, ...". But in order to be compatible with other languages you either should have small dictionary for all languages or offer the admin to maintain his own list.

Feedback and Knowledge Base