[If you are looking for ticket fields, it is a different feature. Please see this article]
Understanding the Basics
UserVoice User: This is the profile that's created for a user on your UserVoice account automatically when they log in with our default log in, interact with the widget or authenticate with SSO. E.g. your end users that are providing feedback.
External Users: Imported user information from your database. Always mapped to the UserVoice user based on the email or UserVoice ID. Required if you want to connect a UserVoice User to an External Account. You can have multiple External Users connected to one UserVoice user.
External Accounts: An Account is a group of users from the same organization. You import external accounts, and then connect them to UserVoice users with an external user.
In this article, we'll walk you through the basics of how this feature works.
Standard fields are preset fields that you can use out of the box. External_ID's are always required, but for the other fields you can pick and choose what you need.
Standard User Fields
- External_ID: Required
- Email: Required
- Name: Only seen by admins, and does not update their UserVoice display name
- Created_At: Defaults to the first time you imported the external user. This field is used to determine auto-prompts for NPS widget.
- IP: Defaults to the IP we have for the user, but you can pass your own. This is used to set a location for the user.
- Type: Could be admin, owner, developer, end user etc...
- External Account ID: Required to connect the external user to an external account.
- External_ID: Required to create an account
- Name: Account name
- Plan: Plan name
- MRR: Monthly recurring revenue. If you pass MRR, we can then aggregate the MRR of accounts that support an idea.
- LTV: Life time value of the account.
- Created_At: Defaults to when the account object was first created in our system.
Is an External User Required to connect a UserVoice user to an account? Yes. If you want to connect a UserVoice user to an account, you must pass an external user for that UserVoice user.
Custom fields are fields you create to pass through your own custom data on users and accounts. You have five types of custom fields you can create and pass data for.
- Boolean: true or false
- Timestamp: unix timestamp
- String: 128 characters
- Text: 10,000 characters
- Number: 15 digits
Create your Custom Fields
Getting Started: If you are passing custom fields, you must set up the fields before passing through any data. You will need to use our API to do this.
Now that you've created the fields, we'll walk you through your options for importing them for users and accounts.
Import Fields with the API
Imported data will show immediately in the UI. This is the best long-term solution for importing and keeping external user and account information up-to-date.
Getting Started: You will need engineering resources on your end to set this up with the API. We do have this guide for using Postman if you're awaiting engineering resources.
With the UserVoice widget (learn more about the widget here), you can pass User and Account fields through the widget when a user logs in on the page.
- User and Account fields passed via the widget do not show in the UI until the user interacts with your UserVoice site—votes, comments, creates an idea, sends a message, or gives an NPS rating.
- The widget only supports passing one imported user profile and associated account. If you need to import multiple external users or accounts, you will need to use the API.
Q: How do I unlink a user from an account?
A: You will either need to delete the external user, or pass null for the external_account_id for the external user.
You Might Find Helpful:
- Measure the impact of ideas with the analysis export
- How to create and use Accounts in UserVoice
- Use Postman to pass fields for users and accounts