Your forum is full of suggestions from end users on how to improve your product.
As a Product Manager, our user segmentation lets you filter signal from noise on your forums.
- Segment (filter) supporters on ideas based on criteria specific to your business like plan type, account, or even location
- See which ideas are most important to your target market or highest paying customers.
- Ensure the new features you're considering align with the ideas from key customers.
Before You Get Started
To get the full value out of segments, you will want to pass through User and/or Account traits for your users.
We recommend choosing these based on your business goals. Many companies start with Account name and spend, plan type, and user type. Learn more about how to get these set up in UserVoice here
Once you've set up your fields, you can simply import the values
for your users via spreadsheet.
Don't have traits in UserVoice yet? Don't worry, you can segment based on location out of the box.
Create Your Segment
- In the admin console, click the lightbulb icon in the left-hand menu.
- Click the forum or view you want to segment (the segment you create can be used on any view).
- Click the "gear" icon on the far right at the top of the suggestion grid.
- Click the "Segments" tab
- Click "Create Segment"
- Name your Segment (this will be the header for the segment in the grid)
Add your Filters
1. Choose a user or account field to filter by:
In the first drop-down, you will see a list of all your available options. This includes any standard or custom User and Account Fields.
- String and Text Fields: Filter based on an exact text match, and the auto-complete feature helps you find the correct values. If you want to filter by email, you need to enter the full email like email@example.com. Examples: Email field, Account Segment, User or Account name etc…
2. Allow multiple values
- Number Fields: Filter based on if the value is equal to, does not equal, is greater than, is greater than or equal to, is less than, or is less than or equal to a specified number. Examples: MRR, LTV or Potential MRR.
"OR" and enter the next value, or require matching values
licking the "AND."
For our example, we are going to use GeoIP Country, which you can use out of the box since it's based on the user's IP which UserVoice collects automatically.
I want to see how many supporters from the USA and Europe support ideas:
Save your Segment, and you're done.
View your Segment
MRR, Account and User columns are now created for your new Segment on the suggestions grid, and you can sort the columns as well. These will show by default now for you and all your feedback admins.
Some Quick FAQs:
- Segments are shared across all admins, and when you create a new Segment, other feedback admins will see it turned on by default. They can hide it in the column picker and their settings will be remembered.
- Segments are shared between Suggestions and Features, so when a new Segment is created on suggestions, you will see it on the Features page, and vice versa. Learn more about Features here.
- You can sort by Segments in the suggestion grid.
- You will need to have the Suggestions permissions enabled for your admin profile in order to use Segments.
- You can only segment on numeric or string custom fields at this time.
Q: Why don't I see the option to create a Segment?
A: If you're on the latest version of UserVoice, please verify with the Owner of your Account (the person on your team that has billing and settings access) that you have the necessary permissions for suggestions.
Q: What happens if I delete a Segment?
A: It will be removed from Suggestions and Features. This action cannot be undone, so for older segments, we recommend double-checking with other teams in UserVoice.
Q: I can see Segments, but can't edit or create one, why?
A: If you have view-only permissions for suggestions, you won't be able to create or edit Segments. Please connect with your Account Owner (the person on your team that has billing and settings access) if you need edit permissions.