Viewing an Idea's Activity
- Click the lightbulb icon on the left
- Click "All open suggestions"
- Use the filters at the top of the grid to narrow down your selection if needed
- When viewing the list of ideas, you'll see columns for Activity (If you don't see the activity columns, use the column-picker in the top-right to enable them)
Understanding the Numbers
- Average Customer Activity: The average number of new supporters and comments for the lifetime of the idea, normalized to 30 days. So in our example, the idea has an average of 1.7 comments and new supporters for a 30 day period. The Sparkline gives you a quick visualization of the trend.
- New Customer Activity: The actual number of new supporters and comments on the idea in the last 30 days. In our example, the idea had 2 comments and new supporters in the last 30 days. We'll use this to see the recent trend.
- Customer Activity Trend: If we divide "New Customer Activity" by "Average Customer Activity" we get the Customer Activity Trend. This trend is comparing the recent activity to the average - if your idea has more recent activity than the average, it will have a positive trend.
Getting more Details on an Idea's Activity
You might want to do a deeper dive, though, and get more details than a small sparkline. If you click on the idea's title, you'll see a more detailed, week-over-week trend line, which will give you more insight on the number of new supporters/comments on a weekly basis.
In our example, we can see we had 13 users comment or support the idea the week of 4/28/13, but activity has quieted down in recent weeks. So while the idea was extremely popular at one point, there's not much interest now.
Filter Ideas by Activity
Now you understand the basics of Trend Reporting, but what are some ways you can use this?
Click the "Customer Activity" button at the top of the forum. By default, it will have "Don't filter by customer activity" selected.
Want to identify stale ideas with no activity? You can view ideas with no activity in the last 24 hours, 90 days or even year.
Want to understand your trending ideas? You also have the option to only view ideas with activity in the last 24 hours or 30 days.
You can combine a Customer Activity Filter with labels and categories, so you can narrow down which ideas you're viewing activity on. This would allow you to see ideas with activity in the last 30 days on a specific product area or with a specific label [learn more about using labels here].
You can even save your search as a custom view, so you can quickly view ideas that meet this filter at any time. Need to know more about custom views? Check out our guide here.