With this feature, you can pass in data for both Users and Accounts using our standard "out of the box" fields or by creating your own.
[Note: User and Account Fields are only available on our Basic, Premium and Scale plans.]
Understanding Users and Accounts in UserVoice
In UserVoice, Users and Accounts are related but separate concepts.
UserVoice User: This is the profile that's created for a user on your UserVoice account automatically when they log in with our default login, interact with the widget or authenticate with SSO. E.g. your end users that are providing feedback.
External Users: Imported user information from your database. Always mapped to the UserVoice user based on the email or UserVoice ID. Required if you want to connect a UserVoice User to an External Account. You can have multiple External Users connected to one UserVoice user.
External Accounts: An Account is a group of users from the same organization. You import external accounts and then connect them to UserVoice users with an external user.
In this article, we'll walk you through the basics of how this feature works
- Standard Fields: These are our "out of the box" fields. They include email, name, created_at, id, type, and account.
- Custom Fields: These are fields that you define. They can be text, numbers, a timestamp, or true/false.
Where You'll See User Fields
In the UserVoice admin console, you'll see your User Fields when viewing a user profile or a list of users (for example, when viewing a list of supporters on an idea).
- Click the "Users" icon in the left-hand menu to see your Users and their fields.
- To view a user profile, you can click on their name anywhere you see it displayed in the admin console.
- To view supporters on an idea, click the idea name then click on the "Users" tab.
How to Use User Fields
This allows you to sort and segment your ideas based on things like user type or persona. You can find more details about the Analysis Export and how to filter your data in this article
- Standard Fields: These are our "out of the box" fields. They include id, name, created_at, month_rate, ltv (lifetime value), and plan.
- Custom Fields: These are fields that you define.They can be text, numbers, a timestamp, or true/false.
Where You'll See Account Fields
In the UserVoice admin console, you'll see your Account Fields anytime you view an account profile, as well as on the Accounts Page.
- Click the "Users" icon in the left-hand menu then click the "Accounts" tab to view your Accounts.
- To view an account profile, you can click on its name anywhere you see it displayed in the admin console.
- To see the Accounts that support an idea, click the idea name then click the "Accounts" tab.
How to Use Account Fields
To analyze feedback based on your Account fields, you can use the Analysis Export. For a given idea, the export will include its supporters, the accounts they belong to, and the fields associated with them.
This allows you to sort and segment your ideas based on things like plan level or MRR. You can find more details about the Analysis Export and how to filter your data in this article
Staging your data to add to UserVoice
- List out all User and Account data/fields you would like to see in UserVoice, using the name you see in your database.
- Match up as many fields as possible to fields that are already found in UserVoice (standard fields). See this article for more information.
- If you have field remaining, these will be your custom fields. Name them using the naming convention 'cf_your_custom_field'
- Add the datatype to each custom field (from the list of accepted data types)
Q. Can I pass monthly recurring revenue (MRR) for users and see the combined MRR of supporters on an idea?
A. No, User Fields cannot be aggregated. However, you can pass MRR for Accounts using our Standard Account Fields and then view the combined MRR for the supporting accounts on an idea.
Q. Can a user be associated with more than one account?
A.Yes, a UserVoice user can be associated with multiple accounts. To do this, you must pass a unique external user to correspond to each external account ID.
You might find helpful:
- Passing user and account fields into UserVoice
- Measure the impact of ideas with the Analysis Export
- Create, manage, and organize internal labels on ideas