[SmartVote may not be available on your current plan. If you don’t see these options, contact email@example.com to learn how to upgrade.]
Get Started with SmartVote
The SmartVote widget shows users a set of two ideas, and asks them to choose which idea they want you to build next. When a user picks an idea, they can choose to just "pick" it or they can "pick+subscribe" which subscribes them to updates.
Why use SmartVote?
SmartVote has users rank ideas. While users creating and supporting one another's ideas helps you gauge interest, it doesn't let you see how users would rank ideas. SmartVote has users prioritize ideas as they pick between them. It lets you see how ideas are ranked against one another and which ideas consistently come out on
You can also auto-prompt users every 30 days for SmartVote, so you can engage your more silent users that have valuable feedback to share, but might not post on your forum.
Learn more about the logic behind SmartVote polls here.
Create a SmartVote Poll
To get started with SmartVote, you need to choose which ideas you want tested in SmartVote. This is called a poll. SmartVote can only be used with ideas on public forums.
- Click on the feedback icon in the left hand menu
- Click the "Forums" tab
- Choose the forum you want to run a poll for (polls are done per forum)
- Click the "SmartVote Polls" Tab
- Click the "New SmartVote poll" button
- Enter the polls name and click "Create"
- Once you've created the poll, click to view it
- Then click the "Add suggestion" button at the top to add ideas. You'll be given a list of ideas in that forum, and can filter them by category, status or label.
- Click the blue "Add to Poll" button to add an idea to the SmartVote Poll.
- You can also add ideas when viewing them in the forum. When you're viewing an idea, click the "SmartVote" Tab. You'll be able to see if it's already in a SmartVote poll, and click the option to add it to one.
A couple of things to keep in mind when setting up a poll...
- You can add new ideas at any time, but each time you add ideas, it will increase the amount of time the poll needs to run to get results.
- Polls are specific to forums, and you can run multiple polls at once. If you are running more than one poll on a forum, it will cycle through the ideas from different polls when a user uses SmartVote. So it may test ideas from 3 different polls, but the ideas will only be tested against ideas within the same poll.
- If a user has gone through all of the polls for that forum, the widget will default to "Post an Idea."
Add the SmartVote Widget to your Website
- Getting the SmartVote Widget code
- Click the icon in the bottom left corner -> Widgets [If you’re on an old version of UV, your settings will be accessed from the admin header.]
- If you want SmartVote to be the starting experience, set that in Step 1
- Copy the code in step 2
- Add the widget code to your website. We recommend adding the code right before the final </body> tag. For more details on how to add the widget code to your site, check out this article.
- Setting the Forum: The SmartVote widget can only pull ideas from one forum. By default it pulls from the default forum in your feedback settings, but you can set a different forum in the widget code with
forum_id: 'xxxxx'(the ID of the forum you want to use).
- Auto-Prompt for SmartVote: With auto-prompts, the SmartVote widget is shown after 7 days of activity and every 30 days after that. Two things to keep in mind...
- To turn auto-prompts off and on go to Settings -> Widgets -> Scroll down to "Autoprompts" and click "Edit."
- For auto-prompts to work you have to use our .identify feature. This is required so we ensure we don't auto-prompt a user too often.
- Post an Idea: The SmartVote widget is smart. If a specific user has already cycled through all the polls for your forum and "picked," it will default to post an idea.
Enable SmartVote on your UserVoice Site
You can enable SmartVote on your UserVoice web portal for end users as well. Go to Settings -> Web Portal -> Click "Edit" for "Appearance and Features."
Under "Site Sections" you'll see the option to enable "SmartVote" for the Feedback Forums.
Note: You will need to be on the latest version of our product to use this feature.
Q: How does the SmartVote algorithm work?
A: See this article.
Q: I can't get SmartVote set up for my forum?
A: Ensure the forum is not private. SmartVote does not currently work with private forums. If you want to see this functionality, support this idea on our forum.
Q: Where do I view my SmartVote results?
A: This article walks through the basics of the report.
Advanced widget implementation
- Embed the widget inline
- Use link or custom trigger to open the widget
- Using multiple widgets on the same page
- Change language of the widget UI based on the user
- Developer documentation for advanced widget customization